Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mold your own man.

Holy moly me oh my. It's been a month since I last blogged and a great deal has occurred. It's a new year and I have been a pretty positive puppy thus far in 2011. What I would like to do is begin a detailed account of my fabulous holiday break that involved lots of family, friends, food and fun. Instead, I will spare my readers and focus this post on my silly snow day musing last Wednesday.
The life of a single girl is interesting. Especially a single girl like myself who is indecisive, ADD and uber social. Over break, I let Bear Paws take me to Crazy Burger, my favorite dining establishment in South County. BP and I have a history and recently he has been very persistent and pursuant in rekindling the flame. Because I am a conflicted little kat, I go back and forth between my beliefs about boys. Part of me is a firm believer in the notion that relationships come to an end for a reason and you should never look back. Another part believes in that cheesy cliche, "If you want something bad enough, set it free. If it comes back, it was meant to be. If it doesn't, it was never really yours to begin with." I blame this on my zodiac sign, which I am happy to report is still and always will be a gemini. Good to know I remain charming and crazy. Anywho, Bear Paws and I had a great time together but I did not leave with that zsa zsa zsu feeling that Carrie had with Berger (no, I will not stop relating my life to Sex & the City. I don't care that it's been almost six years since the series came to a close).
Fast forward a couple weeks and I am introduced to Burly Liberal and Caramel YB in the same weekend. Their approach to the dating game is astronomically different. The decade that separates their birth years may have something to do with this. BL and I met Sunday and had dinner together two nights later. CYB and I met Saturday, texted a bit throughout the week, saw each other at a bar the following Friday for ten minutes, and he asked to "chill" immediately following closing time. While this line may have worked in my college days, I think I am past "chillin" at 1 am with a guy I have just met.
This brings me to Wednesday, the day after my dinner date with BL. I had just finished watching "Easy A" and killing a bottle of vino with Reef Rider and my sister. Sidenote: Emma Stone is an unbelievable broad. I want to be friends with her. Stay tuned for a current girl crushes post. After Reef Rider left me, I got to thinking about men and weird science. I have met a lot of good guys in the past year, but not one has knocked me off feet and left me with the zsa zsa zsu feeling. As Carrie said, how can you sustain a relationship without the zsa zsa zsu? I asked Novel Girl if she could figure out what was wrong with me- if she knew the type of guy I needed and why I am never satisfied. Her retort (not verbatim because we bbm too much and the conversation is lost): You need a guy who is intelligent and funny, tall and good-looking, big but not fat big, and who absolutely adores you. Welp, I have not seemed to find all of that wrapped into one big pretty man package. So I thought it would be fun to ponder the idea of molding my own man. My formula went as follows: Bear Paw's flattery and loyalty + Teddy Jams' passion and thoughtfulness + Burly Liberal's brains and life experiences + Enrique Burnham's humor and witty banter + Caramel YB's height and young boy swagger + Beehive Boy's looks and outdoorsy vibe + Rock Lock's wild energy + sexual free spirit = My molded man.
Gentlemen, if you are mentioned in this post, you should be flattered and not offended. You have impressed and intrigued me with some aspect of your personality. I am learning that no man will ever encompass all I want/need in a partner and I have to come to accept individual quirks and flaws. After all, I am incredibly flawed and quirky myself. According to JD, one of my very best male friends, few people "get" me and I still do things that surprise him after five years of friendship. Since I can't seem to find a member of the geek squad to mold my own man, I will stick to the dating game... or just marry one of my guy friends and sign a monogamy-free contract. While my mom may be worried about my relationship future, I am not and neither is Rock Lock: "I'm worried for some... not you. If you moved to NY you'd be locked up faster than NYC Chinese delivery."

Footnote: If you don't recognize the name Beehive Boy, it is because he is a new character whom I have a cafe crush on. I see him once or twice a week at a coffee shop before school and we exchange small talk together with the barista. All I know is that he thinks I'm "cute," with emphasis on the word cute. So far no move has been made to hang out with me beyond the confines of the cafe. While I am fairly certain he's just not that into me, I am not ruling him out of the game just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis