Friday, April 9, 2010

Taking it back to the old school.


Behold, the inspiration behind my 90's shout-out...
TFLN with Chi Girl because her phone recently broke and I have been feeling disconnected from her:
"Do you have a working bbm yet?" -Me
"Apparently you missed the memo that I hot tub time machined back to the nineties and I'm stuck here at the hands of the merciless masochists at verizon wireless." -Chi Girl
"I'm on facebook fire tonight... I need to shut her down before I outdo myself." -CG
Her fb post on my wall at that time: "hey...my phone called... it says it wants its pogs and L.E.I. denim back... thanks"
"Your posts are amazing. I miss gchatting/bbming. Texting you is BS." -Me
"You're just lucky you don't have to write me letters or wait til after five and call my house phone." -Chi Girl
"P.S. I'm wearing a pad... so my cell phone doesn't feel bad about itself." -CG
Girl is hilarious. Enjoy this compilation of things that came to mind when I reflected on the decade that I am proud to be a product of. I must credit my faithful facebook friends for their contributions. Do I smell teen spirit??

FASHION: everything neon, flannel, l.e.i. denim, spaghetti strap tanks over white tees, Starter jackets (I rocked a charlotte hornets one), scrunchies, boss jeans, addidas sambas, snap bracelets (banned from school in 2nd grade), overalls with one strap down, tie-dye, flat tops, butterfly clips...
MUSIC: NIRVANA (RIP Kurt Cobain, you were brilliant), counting crows (specifically the august and everything after album blasting in my dad's apartment in brookline), sublime (defined my middle school summers...especially "caress me down." I was a creep at a young age), DMB, bone thugs (see you at the crossroads), madonna (like a virgin!), BIGGIE BIGGIE BIGGIE, tupac, TLC, Salt n Pepa, No Doubt (tragic kingdom was one of my first fav cds), boyz II men, the spice girls (now tell me what I want what I really really want)... honestly I could go on for days, and I expect people to comment below...

POP CULTURE: Saved by the Bell!!!, 90210, TGIF!! (hellloooo Sabrina, Family Matters, Boy Meets World, Step by Step, Hangin with Mr. Cooper, Perfect Strangers, etc), SNICK (clarissa, all that, ren & stimpy, rugrats, all that!, alex mack, are you afraid of the dark?), Game shows instead of reality TV, Clueless, In living Color, Married...with children, everything nickelodeon had to offer, fresh prince, titanic, home alone, sonic the hedgehog, pogs, tomogotchi, hello kitty, mortaalll kombaaatttt, duck hunt, Friends ("the Rachel"), and again, the list could go on...

While I am grateful to have oodles of information at my fingertips and constant connection with friends all over the country, I found comfort in thinking back to a time when we wrote letters, checked our pagers (was I ghetto?), and got a thrill/embarassed when a call came from a member of the opposite sex on the house phone. So many fabulous things were born in that decade. Thanks kids for helping me take a walk back in time. I'm going to be requesting some 90's jams at OTR tonight, for sure!

1 comment:

  1. hero. i laughed when you wrote "hangin with mr. cooper" i obvii watched that.
    speaking of writing letters...wanna write me a plane note to read on my way down to Miami? 10 pages back and front should cover the whole trip! I prefer if you write it in colored pencils and alternate colors on each line. (yes, i was this bossy at 12 also).
    k thanks.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis