Monday, August 23, 2010

Unique New York.

New York, New York. A place so nice they had to name it twice. The city that never sleeps...and has stolen my heart. My last two visits have been so amazing that I am now seriously considering making the move to the Big Apple once I am through with grad school. Novel Girl was a gracious, hospitable hostess once again. The entire weekend we had a feeling... everything was working out in our favor... and we were desperately searching for the proper adjective to convey the feeling. We first thought it was serendipitous, then fortuitous, maybe auspicious (we also had a discussion regarding our shared affinity for words that end in ous after Summer Ale described me as loquacious). Finally, with the help of our friend Das, decided we had the midas touch. Prepare for the weekend update.
Friday: Departed the city by the sea and arrived in the concrete jungle around 7. Met Novel Girl in the E.Vill for a pre-weekend mani and started the evening at AA and SeanEballs' rooftop for conversation, mascara application, and pre-bar libations. The conversation was exceptional of course (we are all a bit wacky/quirky). The mascara was applied to Dustinternet's beautiful eyelashes. I've been obsessed with his eyelashes since we met in college. Creepy? Maybe. But I know I'm not alone. The libation of the night was vodka on the rocks spiked with an ice pop. That's what I call #resourceful. We left the boys around 1 to meet Rock Lock (who was shmammered and ready to call it a night) and Dinky Lover at Sutton Place. Decided not to stay and lingered outside debating where to go when Novel Girl was tweeted at by Tiger to see if she was still up and out. Coincidentally, he was at a karoke bar just a few blocks away (midas touch). We met him there and NG introduced me as @Colie_D! Bahaha, oh twitter. There was a beer bong involved and before long, it was closing time. But our night did not end there... we checked in @ The Bromley and discussed Catcher in the Rye, blogs, and Brazzers with a little help from MaryJane. I believe NG and I made it back to her humble abode at the respectable hour of six.
Saturday: On little sleep and poss (not def) a bit malnourished, Novel Girl and I ventured out around noon for a lovely #lesbihonest day date. We took the subway to Central Park and explored. We just kept walking and walking with no plan really. Stumbled upon Hans Christian Andersen and Alice in Wonderland statues (hey Lewis Carroll, you were a creative genius). There were many little tykes hanging out there, and one in particular caught our eye. She looked like Abagail Breslin, rocking silly bands, leggings and a pretty bandana wrapped around her braided hair. An hour or so later, after climbing the spiral stairwell at Belcourt Castle and enjoying the serene view of the park, we spotted Abagail again- straight chillin with her fam. Midas touch? That castle view is unbelievable... I have never felt so at peace. Our park exploration continued with Strawberry Fields....forever. Oh how I heart The Beatles. I can thank TrayDay for this undying love. Novel Girl purchased some hippie-ish buttons that she later converted into magnets to add to her diverse collection. As we were exiting the park, we stumbled upon a peace bus, painted white and adorned with inspiration quotes about kindness. One of my favorites is pictured below.

Next stop: The Met for some culture consumption. As we mosied along checking out Egyptian art, musical intstruments (Ringo's gold drum included), jewelry, et cetera, Novel Girl commented that she has been to The Met dozens of times and we were stumbling upon things she had never seen. We also sat on the steps and channeled our inner S and B. Xoxo, Gossip Girl. We decided around 4 it was probably time to walk Parker (that chick magnet) and feed our faces, so we walked to Madison Square Park and waited "on line" for a delectable double shack burger at The Shake Shack. NG then took me over to Gramercy Park, where only key holders are allowed entry. Uber-exclusive...naturally Novel Girl's dream house is in the neighborhood. Back in the E.Vill, it was 80's prom night at Webster Hall. I've got to attend one of these weekends. Sidenote: Novel Girl and I share a similiar musical taste and we created an epic weekend playlist that included "Teach me how to Dougie." Somehow, that song became the theme song of the weekend. Saturday evening brought a visit from AB, that quirky cat who is "so far out of every loop that ever existed." Love her. The three of us strolled down to R Bar where we met some of our College Gals and The Boys of Ramaz. I proceeded to dougie on the stripper pole and caught the attention of Lewish the birthday boy. It is official. I am a magnetic shiksa, attracting Jewish boys left and right. We had to skip out of R Bar because we couldn't let the weekend go by without seeing Summer Ale, JJ Backstreet and all the Syo Boys. We bar hopped with that crew and I attracted another Jew- wooo! The evening came to a close at U2 Karoke, per usual, with Sami serenading us on the mic.

Sunday: Novel Girl, Summer Ale and yours truly schleped to Brooklyn in the rain, singing Garbage and toting our spectacular clear bell shaped umbrellas to the JellyNYC Pool Party. Das recommended that we see Chromeo and claimed, "if you can't dance to Chromeo, you don't have a pulse." Welp, we danced. our. asses. off. Click here to read Novel Girl's depiction of our experience. I won't attempt to reinvent the wheel when my girl has already done a stellar job of retelling our day. I have included a youtube video of "Tenderoni" below- enjoy.










Moral of the story is this: after music, New York is my boyfriend, and I feel like a long lasting relationship is in the works.

1 comment:

  1. For serious - aside from this being a super post about MY city, I dig the way you described me. Hippie Chic Flower Child that wants to live in or around Gramercy Park! If I wasn't me, I'd totes want to be my friend. HA! Love. You. Miss. You. Move Here Now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis